Saturday, September 12, 2009

What Not to Say to a Pregnant Woman



It's fascinating to be looked at in horror. When you're simply shopping at the grocery store. This expression is seen almost exclusively on the faces of men and teenagers.

Women wince. When dropping off children at school, stooping to get mail from the mailboxes on the corner. Especially ones who have been there. Such is the affect a woman in her final days of pregnancy has on other people.

It is a common belief that there is a significant amount of forgetting that goes along with delivery - you forget the depth of the pain or else you wouldn't have more than one. You forget the exhaustion and discomfort and indignities of pregnancy. But there are some things you just shouldn't ever forget: honestly - a woman who has given birth before should not for any reason ask an expectant mother "When's that baby coming?" Because you never have any freaking idea. And that one fact perhaps chafes more than any other in the final weeks. Unless you have a C section scheduled, that baby will come when it comes. Which is why I think of the final stage of pregnancy as simply giving in. Like the Wicked Witch of the East and her skywriting message of "Surrender, Dorothy", that baby will not come out until you relinquish any notion of control over the process.

But my surrender is only to the process and the baby. What I will not surrender is my right to punch in the face the next man who tells me "Whoa! You're gonna pop!" (Gee, thanks. I was feeling so svelte.) If I could pop, that might provide instantaneous relief. Instead I know ahead of me lies hours of contractions. Followed by pushing from a rather small place in my body a rather large being. Rarely a "pop" to be heard unless some kind soul has provided bedside champagne service. The sound of breaking a man's nose with a loud, satisfying "pop" would allow for a modicum of relief, however. And if tried pregnant, I can't see a male judge (afraid of what might make the belly actually explode) or a female judge (both estrogen and empathy begin with e) rendering a verdict of guilty.

So please, don't ask me if he's coming soon because not soon enough is the only right answer, and people like to associate a big round belly with being jolly, not with being snippy and bitchy. Don't ask me how I feel because the only answer is pregnant. (I always feel a bit more honest in the negativity of my responses around teenagers as I feel it provides them with birth control motivation versus that fairytale falsehood they sometimes imbue pregnancy with.) And it doesn't come out sounding positive. Don't tell me I'm going to pop, point out that I'm huge, or make a face or do something you think might make you seem funny and witty like step back with your hands up and a look of horror on your face. I love the honesty of women who allow me my grumpiness and discomfort. I can't stand the women who told me how much they loved being pregnant.

I of course never mind the women who tell me I look amazing or beautiful and that the only place I've gained an ounce is my belly. If you tell me the baby hasn't yet dropped I am liable to drop on top of you to see if it might change your mind. If I have never met you before, it is not your place to recommend stimulating my nipples to me while gesturing at my chest with your unfamiliar hands. Nausea and vomiting can occur in the last trimester after all. Don't tell me I've picked a lousy time of year to have a baby because it's not like I can change it and it's also not true - there's not a bad time to have a baby. Don't tell me that your neighbor almost died in childbirth, in detail about the horrors of each of your births with the attitude that no one has ever suffered as much as you did. Remind me of the joy of the new baby, laugh with me at the indignities of the process, and tell me you are certain it'll all go smoothly and quickly. I might just let you live.



Disclaimer: I've been told the humor in this entry may be somewhat harder to find. I love it (for real) when my friends and family make jokes about my pregnancy, my size, etc. THey are excluded form What Not to Say. After all, it was my very own daughter who told me a couple of months ago, " It's funny, mama, but it kinda seems like when your belly gets bigger your bootie gets bigger, too." xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Heather, you are so funny. I'm impressed you haven't actually used physical force against anyone. People are ridiculous! you are beautiful and that baby will be here soon! (hurry up, baby!). xoxox

    ReplyDelete